Sunday, March 11, 2012

March 6, 2012

Ola!! Minha Linda Familia!,

Sorry the message was so short last week we were in a hurry and i
was trying to do a whole bunch of things but this week i have more
time to write a little about some things that have happened and I have
learned.

I don´t know if I've ever talked about this or not. Just want to share

what i was thinking recently and would like to know your opinions as well.

In Matthew 14, we get to know the story of when Christ walked on the
water. It really is incredbile and i´ve been thinkg more about it.
There are a few things that really stand out to me that i would like
to share. Christ and his diciples are working and teaching the people.
.After they are through Christ sends them to the seashore and off into
the sea.(ver. 22) And then Christ goes up a moutain to pray while the
apostles are on the water crossing the sea. (ver. 23) What He prayed
for I dont´t know or even have a clue I just know that He prayed to
His father. And while He was up on the mountain the waves on the sea
started to become violent and toss the boat from side to side. I guess
you could apply this to our lives. Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father
have sent us here to the earth away from them to live in a world where
waves crash here and there tossing us sometimes from one side to the
other. We feel alone, as I'm sure the Apostles felt that lonely dark
night, but I do know that Jesus never lost track or left His beloved
Apostles alone.
And at the fourth watch the apostles saw Christ on the water. I'm
not a scholar or anything and to be honest I don´t even know if this
is true or not but I figure that the fourth watch is when the sun just
starts to come up and starts to break the horizon. So it would be a
little hard to see at a good distance and would be easy to confuse
shapes and figures at that hour. (do i know if that is true? No! ha.
but just what im feeling is true.) And in that hour Christ came to
them walking on the water. And how did they react? Ver. 26

"And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were
troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear."

They were scared. They didn´t know what or who it was. Or you could
say they didn´t recognize the Savior because of the hour of the day or for
some reason. The Savior then comforts them,

"But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it
is I; be not afraid."

The Apostles recognized His voice. And the Lord told them to be of
good cheer and not fear. In my life as a missionary sometimes I see
things that I feel are strange or too hard to do and don´t recognize the
Saviors appearence. Because of my own blindness caused by the 4th watch
in the night ( or of the "hour of the day," that I explained). My
personal "hour of the day," or 4th watch in the night, would be, me
not being intune with the Spirit so I would fear or doubt. I hope
that makes some sense.

And my favorite part is what happens after in Verse 28 and 29.

28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come
unto thee on the water.

29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship,
he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.

Peter walks on water. How amazing is that. How great faith is that!! I
am awed everytime I read of the faith of that man who
followed the example of the Savior doing incredible things and did
incredible things. In verses 30-33 we can learn a powerful lesson.

"30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning
to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him,
and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore did'st thou doubt?
32 And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.

33 Then they that were in the ship came and worshipped him, saying,
Of a truth thou art the Son of God."

Why did Peter sink? .. What caused him to sink into the water and lose
his faith? ..

You could say that the wind and the waves and the storm that was
around him was what caused him to lose faith, but I don't think that is
what caused it. I know that Peter saw the waves and the storm when he
took his first steps on the water off the boat and he didn´t doubt then
or at anytime. He looked at the Savior and the Savior smiled and
looked at him. And as Peter walked what I believe sank Peter was the
"boisterous wind," Why was the wind boisterous? I believe it is because
of what the wind was carrying. I think what sank Peter was what the
other Apostles on the boat were saying. I think that doubt that they
had in him was what caused him to fail and fall. I think that in the
wind he heard their voices saying, " Look at those waves so big and
dangerous," "If he looks away from the Savior he won´t make it,"
"What man has ever walked on the water? It is impossible!" In our
lives I think what causes us to fall more than anything is not what
people say but if we listen to what they say and start to beleive it.
Peter COULD walk on the water but when he heard the doubts of some of
his friends he started to doubt himself. And when he doubted
himself he took his eyes off the Savior and fell. I´m seeing in my
mission that Satan does everything to try and destroy me and what we are doing
here. And one of the tactics he uses is by attacking us through the
people that we most love. We have to overcome this. We need to keep
our eyes on the Savior and equally important deafen our ears.

It is my prayer that we can all keep our eyes on the Savior and not
listen to what the people are saying around us. Don't listen to gossip,
do not pay attention to negativity because it only invites the adversary
to keep talking.

I love you guys,

elder brown

No comments:

Post a Comment