Thursday, August 25, 2011

August 24th, 2011

Ola,

Moroni 7:45

"And charity suffereth long, and is kind, and envieth not, and is not puffed up, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil, and rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth, beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things."

Charity is no doubt the greatest example that the Lord left for us on this earth. This week I have like the scriptures say, " pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart,.." But in Portuguese the Scripture is a little different it says, "rogai (unto the father) ..
and what Rogai means is to plead. So the Scriptures in Portuguese ask us to plead to the Father with all the energy of heart. My goal this week was that I could increase the charity that I have on my mission. I used to willfully and wantingly helped our apartment be a place of order and love but somewhere a long the road that goal has been kinda bumped and bruised and abused. It was my goal to continue to regain that pure love of Christ once again. I was faced with a variety of situations this week where I could show charity. I'm sure there were also numerous chances that I failed to see and take a part of. One that was really, really sad for both me and the man happened one night this week. We were on our way home we stopped by the supermarket to grab some essentials and we happened to pass a man who called out for us to stop. I looked at him and felt compassion so I stopped and let him talk. He talked about God and he talked about going to our Church and he talked about many many things that were very sad and my heart reached out to him and I felt the need to help him. After he told me he had been hit by a car and the driver didn't even stop, he asked me to buy him milk for his child. I looked at him and said I would only if I could deliver it to his child, myself. When I responded this way he talked about how he lives on the other side of the city and it is really far and my simple response was, "lets go."
He talked more and more and more and I saw that we were getting close to the time we needed to be in our house and so I motioned to him that we needed to got but we could buy the milk tomorrow and go there together and he looked at me and I won't ever forget his face when he said, "So are you going to buy the milk or not?" I told him, "no." I then saw a face of complete sadness, disgust, and anger. And I thought about him the whole time we were in the store buying the essentials, and when I say that I mean I bought bread to eat. And as we left I had spent all the money I really had except 5 cents and as we left he was still in front of the store and this time he called me over to him with a different tone and attitude. He looked at me and told me that if I had money to buy bread why couldn't I help him? This time with a little bit of frustration behind my voice I told him to take what I had, which was only 5 cents. And if you reading this you are probably thinking, "come on brown you don't have a few bucks to give the guy? But I really didn't. As I handed him the 5 cents he looked at me dead in the eye and said, "5 cents? you want to give me 5 cents?" This was the end of the little conversation that we had that night because I left him with that 5 cents in his hand.
I ran into a lot of people in need this past week like this man and the saddest part is the outcome was nearly the same in every situation. I feel so sad that I couldn't help that man and I didn't have anything to offer him, but the reality of it is that I had everything to offer him and more. I have the mansions that I can give him the keys to, I have great riches that I could help him reach. But only through living the gospel of Jesus Christ could he ever reach these great riches and great heights. I feel so sorry for some of these people here that I serve and I hope that the Lord will help me discern the ones that need my help, from the ones that want to abuse my charity. I do know that the one that gives the blessing of eternal life to a friend, family member, or co-worker he will receive the greatest charity of all; also mercy at the last day and a celestial place in heaven.

I love the work, its true. Christ lives and loves us.

elder brown

No comments:

Post a Comment