Friday, July 29, 2011

July 28th , 2011

ola,


Hey everyone, thanks for all the emails this week and the words of support, love, and CONCERN. I got a ton of emails this week that had headlines like, "what are ya doing!?!," "are you crazy?" haha. So I guess I can't tell you guys everything that goes on here in Brazil ha. But know that I won't do anything to get hurt or put my companion or I in jeopardy. What I wanted you to understand and get from the story of my friend Andre was not that we went off to go talk to those guys, but that we need to do everything possible for the ones that are lost. I know without a doubt that while we walked around to find them that the Lord protected us and that we were walking 3 wide. My companion, the Savior, and I. The Spirit never left us and I never felt safer then when we wanted to help André. I'm sorry that I gave everyone a scare and I'll try to use a little better judgment. But know that when the Spirit asks me to go I will go, and when he says stay I will stay.

This last week was really a learning week for my companion and I. We learned a lot about each other and about our missions. We shared a lot of things that have made us who we are today and the type of missionaries we are and want to become. I want to share a story about my companion, Elder Augusto. Elder Augusto was born (his first area) in Camaçari, in the mission, and his companion was a Brazilian. His companion daily told him the same things, "your never going to go home.", "you are the worst missionary in the mission." and everything in between. His companion slept in everyday of the mission and only worked when he wanted to. Which gave thoughts of going home to Elder Augusto daily that reached the level that he called President to go home but President helped him overcome his challenges through reading the Book of Mormon. Elder Augusto stayed in the mission and was companions next with a missionary from the United States, who didn't work with his Heart. He promised a lot of things for his baptisms to be baptized with full intention of never fulfilling his promises. He also would talk bad about Elder Augusto that really discouraged him and gave him a perspective of what he thought the mission is. This continued until Elder Augusto finally reached his 5 companion who showed love for him. And now he is my companion. He has been through so much adversity already on his mission. And like an abandoned dog that has been beaten and left, he also has a really hard shell to crack and has his way of doing things. I have really spoken too much about him to you but I want you to know something before I get transferred to another area. That I love Elder Augusto sooo much. He has been my Favorite companion and my hardest also. I have learned sooo many gospel things from him but even more life lessons. He to me has exemplified perseverance and will. He has his struggles with obedience and respect for others but never have I wanted to help my companion so bad. Never before have I fasted and prayed more for a companion, or even anyone. I came into this companionship thinking that I would have to carry this companion to the end of this transfer and in times I felt like I was dragging around a weight that wasn´t my responsibility and I'm embarrassed to say that I didn't want to all of the time. But the remarkable thing was that this whole time my Incredible companion has been carrying me.

I remember in the 2 week that we were together our relationship was probably the rockiest and I felt like I just needed out. I knelt down to my Heavenly Father, a broken and weak man. I prayed so earnestly for one thing, and in the mercy of the Lord I received it. I prayed that I could, for only just a moment, see my companion as my Heavenly Father sees Him. I am so grateful for the blessing that I had in that short time to see him through heavenly light; seeing what he can be not for what he is. What I want to say with this email is that no matter what your situation. I really don't care what it is, and if I can be so bold to say that Our Heavenly Father doesn´t care either -you can overcome! If you feel like life's challenges are too big to bite off, it really is as simple as asking for help. If you have problems with you children and the direction they are heading, if you have problems between your spouse or loved one, if you don't know why I can say," that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints is the only true church on the face of the earth," go to your Father in Heaven and plead for help. Because I am coming to know, and I am a beginner none the less, that he really hears and will give you what you ask for with a righteous desire and need. I love this work and I know that it is the work of the Savior of the world, I love the Lord without expression; and know that he really walked a lonely road to the end so that I don't ever have too, and I want you to know that I love my companion. All because of this promise .. Matthew 7--
Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you ..

Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment