Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 7, 2011

ola,

How are you all doing? I hope and pray that you guys are all great! I bet so much has gone on in the last week and everyone is busy with all that they are doing. The little girls are busy getting bigger everyday and I know they are saying funny stuff and Brooklyn is running around like a champ. That is so exciting! And for the rest of "ya'll" (ha) you may not realize how much has probably happened for you during the week. Life for me is going by fast. That is what I am starting to see here in the mission in that transfers are starting to sneak up on me. Transfer calls are this week on Saturday. Elder Bezona thinks that he is going to get transferred out. I'm a little nervous to see who I get to sink my teeth into next ha. Elder Bezona has spent 7 months here in Frisco! Which is a wicked long time if you ask me. I think he might be getting pretty excited about this up and coming transfer, but we will have to see. No matter how long we are in an area it really depends on what the Lord wants us to learn and how He wants to mold us in the place we are at. I am definitely grateful to have gotten to have Elder Bezona as a trainer. I have learned a ton from him. Especially how to be a good companion and how to work and have fun on my mission which is really, really important! So I will be sad to see him go if he does get transferred, but if not then he gets 6 more weeks of looking at this ugly mug ha. Lets hope, for his sake, that he gets transferred ;).

Monday:
Last Monday I decided I was going to study patience as my Christ like attribute this week. I have been doing them week by week starting with faith in Jesus Christ, hope, charity and love, virtue, knowledge and this last week was patience. Patience according to Preach My Gospel says,
"Patience is the capacity to endure delay,trouble, opposition, or suffering without becoming angry, frustrated, or anxious."

As I read through the definition early Monday morning I couldn't get past the last word, anxious. Everything we do out on a mission is on the Lord's time table and most missionaries know that. I may be preaching to the choir but the last half of the definition is the hardest to do. How do I go about my day without becoming angry that no one will stop to talk to us or become frustrated with the people I talk to who say, "we are comfortable where we are," when I know that He can offer them so much more. Or becoming anxious to find that investigator who wants the message and it will mean the world to them. I decided early that to have patience this week would be perfect for me ha. Because there is so much to learn from that little definition.

Tuesday:
Tuesday was a very special day for me. Probably one of the best days in my mission. I got up and worked out (p90x baby!!) and showered and got ready for the day as usual and got everything I needed for studies that day and sat down and started to "..feast upon the words of Christ.." (2 Nephi 32:3) And as I read the little activity, under patience, I was going to do out of Preach My Gospel on the Book of Mormon everything seemed just like it always does. I then started reading the scripture references that I was to go read to complete the activity and it started in Mosiah 28:1-9 and I love verse 3 where it says,

"Now they were desirous that salvation should be declared to every creature, for they could not bear that any human soul should perish; yea, even the very thoughts that any soul should endure endless torment did cause them to quake and tremble."

That is a very powerful scripture. I have read that before, but I love that message and how that is how a missionary should strive to be. I love the Sons of Mosiah and Alma the Younger and their love and conviction to the Lord. They are such a huge inspiration to me of how I want to live on my mission and even after I'm done. But today the Lord said that is not all I want you to learn. I kept reading and in the next few verses after the Sons of Mosiah and Alma ask to go share it with the Laminite people, King Mosiah goes to the Lord and asks him what to do. I love that he trusts the will of the Lord so much that even though he was scared, if Heavenly Father told him to send his sons he would obey. Verse 7 says,

"And the Lord said unto Mosiah: Let them go up, for many shall believe on their words, and they shall have eternal life; and I will deliver thy sons out of the hands of the Lamanites."

This verse sank deep into me and I pondered about how I can "liken" (1 Nephi 19:23) that scripture to me to see how I could grow and learn and the first thing I thought was about you, mom and dad, and how you had to let me go even though you didn't know how I was going to do, and I'm great by the way! Then I thought of the things in my life I need to let go to become a better missionary and how I could better serve the Lord. I made and set some goals for myself and I found some truths and I am really grateful for that experience. Scripture of the day: Alma 26: 27-28 and think about how the Lord counseled those missionaries if ya read em.

Wednesday:
We got to meet with a sweet part-member family on Wednesday and we hopefully will be teaching Vivien who is 12 and Tim who is 19 about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ! Sister O'grady who has been a member for a long time, but she doesn't come to church very often because of who she chose to marry, which is very sad. We want to get her active again and hopefully it will soften Brother O'Grady who will let his children be baptized and let us in his home more often. We are praying for that and we will see how that works out.

Thursday:
I learned something very important Thursday about companions. Everyday now I put in my to do list box so I remember in my planner, "How did I grow?" And at the end of the day I like to look back through the day and write a little something down in my planner of how I grew and hopefully learned from that day! Thursday I learned that I will have many companions who I will love and others that are harder to get along with, but it is up to me how I will handle them. It's all my choice in whether I love or just tolerate my companion. I'm assuming it will take time to really master this but I will try constantly to improve.

Friday:
Friday, I went on exchanges with Elder Thatcher and we went and knocked on a ton of doors like we do everyday and we had a good talk about missions and companions and how to become better. Elder Thatcher is truly a wealth of knowledge and I learn so much from him whenever I am around him. A little quote from him that I want to share is,
"you don't have to be leader to be a great missionary."
I'm starting to understand that more and more everyday that I, even a greeny, can be a great missionary by trying as hard as I can everyday to make a difference in others lives. Scripture of the day: Psalms 42:6

Sorry I can't tell you about the rest of the week because my hour is up!!

Love,
Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment