Monday, February 28, 2011

February 28, 2011

ola,

Hey everyone! This week has been a pretty exciting and crazy week! I guess the word would be fun! We (Elder Bezona and I) have had a pretty rewarding and good week we feel like. We have been richly blessed by our Father in Heaven for the work we put in talking to people and teaching when an occasion pops up. I feel like writing my letter a little differently this week. The idea came after we had dinner with the Stake Patriarch. Maybe some of his spirit rubbed off on me and brought me some inspiration ha. Elder Bezona and I knew what we needed to do this week. It was finding investigators! So we set our goal of finding some new investigators and we were off going around knocking on a lot of doors and talking to a ton of people. A few said we could come back. That will be interesting to see how that works out! We are still looking for the golden investigators and think we might be getting closer to finding one, so we are not getting to down trodden about the minimal success we had this week. Accomplishing our goal is much like climbing a mountain, you have to work hard to go up so you can enjoy the view from the top! :) .. On Tuesday we meet with Trina, who we have been trying to set up a meeting with for at least a month and we finally nailed down a time and invited her to come to Church. Guess what? She actually came! We prayed about what Sister we could invite at the Church to help us fellowship Trina into the ward. We came up with a Sister and she turned out to be the absolute best Sister in the Northern Hemisphere ha. No offense Mom you will always be the best, but she come close to ya ha. She bore her testimony frequently. She went on a mission to Finland and she could explain things to Trina in a way that it made sense and Trina was really moved. I got an opportunity in that appointment to recite the first vision to someone who has not I'm sure heard it before or did not understand it if she had. Wow, what an experience that was in itself. I have no doubt that she felt the spirit of those words. My heart and my joy were so great at that moment I thought I might slip into a spiritual coma! We taught and talked to Trina for almost 3 hours straight and we mentioned a piece of each of the 3 main lessons out of preach my gospel. At the end we asked Trina if she prayed and got confirmation that everything we told her was true if she would be baptized and she said, "yes." How amazing is that!? How about we let Ammon tell you:
Alma 26:11
"But Ammon said unto him: I do not boast in my own strength, nor in my own wisdom; but behold, my joy is full, yea, my heart is brim with joy, and I will rejoice in my God."

Wednesday and Thursday were knocking days for sure. We knocked and knocked and knocked and what may have seemed to look like no success really was I know successful. Regardless of whether or not they would let us in or talk to us more, we were there on their door step trying to share the gospel of Jesus Christ with them. Elder Thatcher (my Zone Leader) the Elder I talked about a few letters ago, who I now refer to as my step-father because of all the things he teaches me, taught me another lesson. I don't know if I shared this with you or not, but it is sticking out in my mind so I will share it with you. He said to me on exchanges, "my agency can potentially affect the agency of the person on the other side of the door." I am glad for the opportunity to knock and talk to people regardless of the outcome. I want them to receive the restored gospel and I know that the Lord wants them to receive the restored gospel and so what better thing can I do but try to help others see that. Scripture of the day:
Doctrine and Covenants 121:8
"And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

Friday: we helped Elder Evans and Elder Derrick with handing out some fliers to people. A new church in our area was just built. It is actually our Stake Center and we had an open house for people to show up and learn about the Church and have some food and a good time at the Church. On the path of handing them out I knocked on a door of a lady who seemed a little short with me and I asked her if she knew anything about our Church and she said in a very angry way, "I know that I'm gay," you can probably imagine my face when I heard that. I didn't know what to do really and the only thing that came to my mind after a long moment of silence was, "well we can fix that." haha. But as I opened my mouth to tell her she shut the door, probably a good thing! ha Missionary work is definitely interesting! I really missed a good opportunity. ha.
Saturday: we had dinner with the Heugleys and that was really great because she is the Sister that is fellow shipping Trina, and we talked a lot about her. One thing that made me laugh was when Irma Heugley said she talked to Trina and Trina described me and Elder Bezona and said this about us, "Elder Bezona is the wise one and Elder Brown is the young one- hot and on fire!" I have never been called that before so it gave me a good laugh! I hope what is on fire is my testimon"e"y and not my brain trying to remember scriptures ha.
Sunday: we had no investigators at church. When I looked around the gospel essentials class at empty chairs, I made a promise that I would work harder to fill up some of those chairs so one day they will all be full of people who are excited about the Church. Scripture of the day: Alma 5:46, but read the whole chapter!!

Love ya all,

Elder Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment