Monday, January 24, 2011

January 24, 2011

ola todo mundo,

Thank you all for your letters and support this week. I really appreciate it. It really does help me get through the next week! Your words make me feel like I'm still part of the family or involved in your lives and that is something I want to be a part of. So before I forget here is my address to the Adam's house: 14883 Turnbridge Dr., Frisco, Texas 75035. I'm not sure how long exactly things will take to get to Frisco or from Frisco out. I will try some time this week to send out some letters. One thing that is kind of nice being out of the MTC is I can email for an hour now!! Whoo-hoo! ha.

This week has been pretty special. I don't know if I have already told you about Brittney or not but I will again anyways! She is 12 years old and comes from a broken family. Her parents could not take care of her so she went to live with her grandparents and after she was there for so long, her grandfather passed away. So now she is living with her Uncle. He is one of the Bishopric Counselors in the ward. Brittney is not baptized and has been taking the missionary lessons for a long time. We went over to the Garcia's home where Brittney is now staying and taught her. On my first visit with her we taught the Gospel of Jesus Christ we explained what Jesus Christ did for her and repentance and ultimately baptism. Going back, before we got there I had spent many nights praying over what to teach her and what we could say to help her gain a testimony and know Christ better. Elder Bezona told me before the visit that Brother Garcia wanted Brittney to get baptized as soon as we could, but her Aunt, brother Garcia's wife, wanted to take some time and slow everything down so she can understand. So I wanted to know what to do and what I could say to her that would touch her little spirit the most. So I prayed for understanding and knowing and guess what happened? NOTHING! I wasn't sure what to say to her or what to teach her or anything really at all but time doesn't stop and wait for you. So the night came and we had dinner with the Roberts family, who I later found out is an Area Authority, and the Spirit was strong in their home and we had a good time and meal. By the way I get fed by the members like every night! We have some sweet members!! No worries Mom! .. And then we went to the Garcia's home and we sat down and like I said presented the gospel of Jesus Christ and the whole time during the lesson there were distractions; such as the dog barking or the dog eating the carpet or the other kids in the family eating oranges and arguing and I just said a prayer in my heart that the Spirit could be there and we would have no more distractions. And within 5 minutes the Spirit was back in the room and we we didn't have any more problems. The Lord answers prayers. At the highest part of the lesson which was at the end my companion invited Brittney to be baptized and guess what? She accepted!!! Her baptismal date is February 12th. I am so excited for her and I can not think of a better birthday present then seeing someone in all white ready for baptism. I realized later that my prayers before were answered. Not in the way I wanted them to be perhaps, but He did hear me and showed me that it is really His way that things are done. All He requires of me is to be an instrument for the Spirit to work through and that is all that is required of me. Brittney didn't accept our invitation for baptism because she thinks we are pretty cool guys,(and we are pretty cool ha.), but because Heavenly Father is preparing people and the Spirit converts them. I heard a quote this week I really loved. It was by the Adam's son Ricky he said, "We [missionaries] are spectators, all we do is sit back and watch Christ work." How true is that!!?? That is all I need to be. That is all I want to be. The Lord does not require us to run faster than we can. He does not expect me to be perfect or to convert people because that is not my job. My job is to work hard and when the opportunities arise share my testimony and invite the Spirit.

I love ya all and hope you are all great!! I hope you find something worthwhile in these emails because when I sit down and write them I get to sit back and reflect and see how the Lord has blessed me in my life. I know that this Church is true and I know that this is His work. I know that He knows us and loves each and everyone of us. I know that He sent His Son to bless our lives and make it possible to return to live with Him forever. The Book of Mormon is true, if you read it everyday it will give you all the answers and bring the Spirit into your life as it does for me.

elder brown

No comments:

Post a Comment